Yi Zhong currently works at Southern University of Science and Technology. Yi does research in Paleoclimatology, Paleomagnetism and Marine Geology. Current work involved two sides: One is relative paleointensity recorded in the marine sediments during the Quaternary, another is paleo-dust and deep-water ventilation changes in the Pacific during the long-time scale. The current project is including two sides: “The provenance variations of eolian dust in the northwestern Pacific Ocean since Late Quaternary and its implication for the westerlies” and “Reconstruction of deep-water environment in the Pacific during the late Cenozoic based on the Fe-Mn deposits”.
2008.09－2012.06，Jiangsu Ocean University, Ocean Management，Bachelor’s degree;
2012.09-2017.06, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Marine Geology, Doctoral degree.
2017.6-2020 Post-doctoral research in Marine Geology (Supervisor: Qingsong Liu), Department of Ocean Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
2020-now Research Associate Professor, Department of Ocean Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
Honors and Awards
1. Excellent Student Award by Huaihai institute of technology, Lian Yungang,China.
2. Excellent Student Cadre of South China Sea Institute of Oceanology,China.
Participate in research project
1. Studies on the composition and genesis of ferromanganese deposits from the northern South China Sea (2013-2016) supported by Natural Science Foundation of China (41306047; 41676056).
2. The provenance variations of eolian dust in the northern Pacific since late Quaternary and its implication for the westerlies (2019-2021) supported by Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 4186063);
3. Reconstruction of deep-water environment and dust flux in the Pacific during the late Cenozoic based on the Fe-Mn deposits (2018-2020) supported by open Fund of the Key Laboratory of Marine Geology and Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences (No. MGE2018KG05).
Participate in/submit paper to academic conferences
1. The second Seafloor observatory for Marine sedimentary process and submarine topography, 2014, Xiamen.
2. Sedimentary congress, 2015, Wuhan
3. Annual academic conference of marine science, 2015, Guangzhou
4. Academic conference of marine and lakes, 2016, Haikou
1. Yi Zhong, Zhong Chen, James R. Hein, Francisco Javier González, Zhaoxia Jiang, Xiaoqiang Yang, Jian Zhang, Wanzhang Wang, Xuefa Shi, Zhonghui Liu, Qingsong Liu*. Evolution of a deep-water ferromanganese nodule in the South China Sea in response to Pacific deep-water circulation and continental weathering during the Plio-Pleistocene. Quaternary Scicence Reviews, 2020, 229, 106106.
2. Yi Zhong, Qingsong Liu, Zhong Chen*, Francisco Javier González, James R. Hein, Jian Zhang, Lifeng Zhong. Tectonic and paleoceanographic conditions during the formation of ferromanganese nodules from the northern South China Sea based on the high-resolution geochemistry, mineralogy and isotopes. Marine Geology, 2019, 410, 146-163.
3. Yi Zhong, Zhong Chen*, Francisco Javier González, Xufeng Zheng, Yun Luo, Aibin Mo, Antao Xu. Rare earth elements and yttrium in ferromanganese deposits from the South China Sea: distribution, composition and resource consideration. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 2018, 37, 41-54.
4. Yi Zhong, Zhong Chen*, Francisco Javier González, James R. Hein, Xufeng Zheng, Gang Li, Yun Luo, Aibin Mo, Yuhang Tian, Shuhong Wang. Composition and genesis of ferromanganese deposits from the northern South China Sea. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 2017, 138, 110-128.
5. Yi Zhong, Zhong Chen*, Liang Li, Jianguo Liu, Gang Li, Xufeng Zheng, Shuhong Wang, Aibin Mo. Bottom water hydrodynamic provinces and transport patterns of the northern South China See: Evidence from grain size of the terrigenous sediments. Continental Shelf Research, 2017, 140, 11-26.
6. Yi Zhong, Zhong Chen*, Aibin Mo, Yun Luo, Gang Li, Xufeng Zheng. Genetic types and elemental occurrence phases of ferromanganese nodules in the northern South China Sea. Journal of Tropical Oceanography, 2017, 36(2):1-12. (in Chinese)
7. Yuhang Tian, Zhong Chen, Jirui Liu, Weixia Huang, Yi Zhong. Influence of the grain size on the porosity and acoustic velocity of offshore surface sediments in the Southeastern Hainan Island, Journal of Tropical Oceanography, 2016, 35(3):48-54. (in Chinese)