Professor Zhang received a BS (1984), an MS (1987), and a PhD (1990) all from Dalian University of Technology, China. From 1990 to 2002 he worked at Dalian University of Technology, China. In 1995, he became a professor. From 2002 to 2019 he was a professor of geophysics at the Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences. He joined SUSTech in September 2019. He visited Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, three times in 1998, 2001, and 2004 as a research fellow. He visited Stanford University as a visiting professor in 2008. His research interests include seismic modelling and wave propagation, seismic migration, and seismic data processing. He has led the National Natural Science Fund of China for Distinguished Young Scholars project, the key projects of NSFC, National Major Project of China, 863 Program and projects from industries. He made many achievements in the fields of seismic modelling and seismic imaging. His modelling schemes have successfully resolved challenging problems including surface topography, fluid-solid interface, fractured media and so on. His pioneer research on seismic imaging with de-absorption has earned a very high reputation. He has published more than 100 journal papers (of which 34 papers were issued on Geophysics, Geophysical Journal International, and Geophysical Prospecting). He also has 15 patents for inventions.
1987-1990, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, Ph.D. in Mechanics
1984-1987, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, M.S.in Mechanics
1980-1984, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, B.S.in Mechanics
Sep., 2019–Present Professor, Chair Professor, Department of Earth and Space Sciences, Southern Univ. of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
Sep., 2002–Aug., 2019 Professor, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
July, 1995–Aug., 2002 Professor, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Oct., 1992–June, 1995 Associate Professor, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Dec., 1989–Sep., 1992 Assistant Professor, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Sep., 2008–Dec.,2008 Visiting Professor, Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, Stanford, USA
June, 2004–Dec., 2004 Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Applied Earth Sciences, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
May, 2001–Dec., 2001 Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Applied Earth Sciences, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
Oct., 1998–Nov., 1999 Visiting Scientist, Department of Applied Physics, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
Honors & Awards
2002, National Natural Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China
2002, Hundred Outstanding Talent plan of Chinese Academy of Sciences
2006, National person selected for national Distinguished Talent plan of China
2006, Special allowance awarded by the central government
1. Seismic imaging and Seismic exploration for petroleum resources
2. Seismic wave modelling in complex media and Seismic characteristics
1. Zhengwei Li, Jianfeng Zhang*, 2019. 3D diffraction imaging with Kirchhoff time migration using vertical-traveltime-difference gathers. Geophysics, 84(6):
2. Kai Yang, Jianfeng Zhang*, 2019. Comparison between Born and Kirchhoff operators for least-squares reverse time migration and the constraint of the propagation of the background wavefield. Geophysics, 84(5): R725-R739.
3. Bowu Jiang, Jianfeng Zhang*, 2019. Least-squares migration with a blockwise Hessian matrix: A prestack time-migration approach. Geophysics, 84(4): R625-R640.
4. Chunhui Dong, Shangxu Wang, Jianfeng Zhang, Jingsheng Ma, and Hao Zhang，2019，Automatic migration velocity estimation for prestack time migration. Geophysics, 84(3): U1-U11
5. Kai Yang, Jianfeng Zhang, 2018. Least-squares reverse time migration with an angle-dependent weighting factor. Geophysics, 83(3): S299-S310
6. Jincheng Xu and Jianfeng Zhang, 2017. Prestack time migration of nonplanar data: Improving topography prestack time migration with dip-angle domain stationary-phase filtering and effective velocity inversion. Geophysics, 82(3): S235-S246
7. Jianfeng Zhang, Zhengwei Li, Linong Liu, Jin Wang, and Jincheng Xu, 2016. High-resolution imaging: An approach by incorporating stationary-phase implementation into deabsorption prestack time migration. Geophysics, 81(5): S317-S331
8. Jianfeng Zhang, Jiangjie Zhang, 2014. Diffraction imaging using shot and opening-angle gathers: A prestack time migration approach. Geophysics, 79(2): S23–S33
9. Jianfeng Zhang, Jizhong Wu, Xueying Li, 2013. Compensation for absorption and dispersion in prestack migration: An effective Qapproach. Geophysics, 78(1): S1–S14
10. Jianfeng Zhang, Jincheng Xu, Hao Zhang，2012. Migration from 3D irregular surfaces: A prestack time migration approach. Geophysics, 77(5): S117–S129
11. Jianfeng Zhang, Hongwei Gao, 2011. Irregular perfectly matched layers for 3D elastic wave modeling. Geophysics, 76(2): T27-T36
12. Jianfeng Zhang, Linong Liu, 2007. Optimum split-step Fourier 3D depth migration: Developments and practical aspects. Geophysics,72(3): S167-S175
13. Linong Liu, Jianfeng Zhang, 2006. 3D wavefield extrapolation with optimum split-step Fourier method. Geophysics, 71(3): T95-T108
14. Jianfeng Zhang, 2005. Elastic wave modeling in fractured media with an explicit approach. Geophysics, 70(5): T75-T85
15. Jianfeng Zhang, D.J.Verschuur, 2002. Elastic wave propagation in heterogeneous anisotropic media using the lumped finite element method. Geophysics, 67(2): 625-638
16. Kai Yang, Jianfeng Zhang*, Hongwei Gao, 2017. Unstructured mesh based elastic wave modelling on GPU: a double-mesh grid method. Geophysical Journal International, 211, 763-772.
17. Zhang Jianfeng, Gao Hongwei, 2009. Elastic wave modelling in 3D fractured media: An explicit approach. Geophysical Journal International, 177, 1233-1241.
18. Gao Hongwei, Zhang Jianfeng*, 2008. Implementation of perfectly matched layers in an arbitrary geometrical boundary for elastic wave modelling. Geophysical Journal International, 174, 1029-1036.
19. Gao Hongwei, Zhang Jianfeng*, 2006. Parallel 3-D simulation of seismic wave propagation in heterogeneous anisotropic media: a grid method approach. Geophysical Journal International, 165, 875-888
20. Zhang Jianfeng, 2004. Elastic wave modelling in heterogeneous media with high velocity contrasts. Geophysical Journal International, 159, 223-239
21. Zhang Jianfeng, 2004. Wave propagation across fluid-solid interfaces: a grid method approach. Geophysical Journal International,159, 240-252
22. Zhang Jianfeng, C.P.A.Wapenaar, 2003. Wavefield extrapolation and amplitude- variation- with- angle migration in highly discontinuous media. Geophysical Journal International, 155, 327-339
23. Zhang Jianfeng, Liu Tielin, 2002. Elastic wave modelling in 3-D heterogeneous media: 3-D grid method. Geophysical Journal International, 150, 780-799
24. Zhang Jianfeng, Liu Tielin, 1999. P-SV-wave propagation in heterogeneous media: grid method. Geophysical Journal International, 136, 431-438.
25. Zhang Jianfeng, 1999. Quadrangle-grid velocity-stress finite-difference method for poroelastic wave equations. Geophysical Journal International, 139, 171-182
26. Zhang Jianfeng, 1997. Quadrangle grid velocity stress finite difference method for elastic wave propagation simulation. Geophysical Journal International, 131, 127-134.
27. Lu Yongming, Liu Qiancheng, Zhang Jianfeng*, Yang Kai, Sun Hui, 2019. Poynting and polarization vectors based wavefield decomposition and their application on elastic reverse time migration in 2D transversely isotropic media, Geophysical Prospecting, 67, 1296-1311.
28. Liu Qiancheng, Zhang Jianfeng, 2018. Efficient dip-angle angle-domain common-image gather estimation using Poynting vector in acoustic reverse time migration and its application in noise suppression. Geophysical Prospecting, 66, 1714-1725.
29. Liu Qiancheng, Zhang Jianfeng, 2018. Trace-imposed stretch correction in Kirchhoff prestack time migration. Geophysical Prospecting, 66,1643-1652.
30. Liu Qiancheng, Zhang Jianfeng*, Gao Hongwei, 2017. Reverse-time migration from rugged topography using irregular, unstructured mesh. Geophysical Prospecting, 65,453-466.
31. Zhang Jianfeng, C.P.A.Wapenaar, 2006. High-resolution depth imaging with sparseness-constrained inversion. Geophysical Prospecting, 54, 49-62
32. Zhang Jianfeng, C.P.A.Wapenaar, 2002. Wavefield extrapolation and prestack depth migration in anelastic inhomogeneous media. Geophysical Prospecting, 50, 629-643
33. Zhang Jianfeng, D.J.Verschuur, C.P.A.Wapenaar, 2001. Depth migration of shot records in heterogeneous, transversely isotropic media using optimum explicit operators. Geophysical Prospecting, 49, 287-299
34. Liu Linong, Zhang Jianfeng*, 2006. Optimum split-step Fourier one-way operators for seismic modeling and imaging in 3D VTI media. Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L09308
35. Liu Qiancheng, Zhang Jianfeng, Lu Yongming, Gao Hongwei, Liu Shaolin, Zhang Hao, 2019. Fast Poynting-vector based wave-mode separation and RTM in 2D elastic TI media. Journal of Computational Physics, 381, 27-41.
36. Xu Jincheng, Liu Wei, Wang Jin, Liu Linong, Zhang Jianfeng, 2018. An efficient implementation of 3D high-resolution imaging for large-scale seismic data with GPU/CPU heterogeneous parallel computing. Computers & Geosciences, 111, 272–282
37. Qiancheng Liu, Jianfeng Zhang, Hao Zhang, 2016. Eliminating the redundant source effects from the cross-correlation reverse-time migration using a modified stabilized division. Computers & Geosciences, 92, 49-57
38. Jincheng Xu, Hao Zhang, Jianfeng Zhang, Zhengwei Li and Wei Liu, 2017. Pre-stack time migration based on stationary-phase stacking in the dip-angle domain. Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, 14, 272-282.
39. Jincheng Xu, Hao Zhang, Jianfeng Zhang, 2017. A robust surface-consistent residual phase correction method based on migrated gathers. Exploration Geophysics, 49(3): 336-344
40. Jin Wang, Wei Liu, Jianfeng Zhang and Zhonghua Zhao, 2017. Building a heterogeneous Q model: an approach using surface reflection data. Journal of Seismic Exploration, 26: 293-310.
41. Hao Zhang, Jincheng Xu, Qiancheng Liu, Jianfeng Zhang, 2016. Imaging 2D rugged topography seismic data: A direct PSTM approach integrated with residual static correction. Journal of Seismic Exploration, 25: 339-358
42. Zhang Jianfeng, Wang Weihong, 2006. Multiple attenuation: An approach by incorporating multiple prediction with Radon transform. Journal of Seismic Exploration, 15, 79-97
43. Zhang Jianfeng, 2001. Triangle-quadrangle grid method for poroelastic, elastic, and acoustic wave equations. Journal of Computational Acoustics, 9, 681-702
44. Zhang Jianfeng, Li Youming, 1997. Numerical simulation of elastic wave propagation in inhomogeneous media. Wave Motion, 25, 109-125.
45. Zhang Jianfeng, Liu Tielin, 2000. Numerical simulation of elastic wave propagation in anisotropic media. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 13, 50-59
46. Zhang Jianfeng, Liu Shu, 1997. Transmission boundary condition for mixed variable finite-difference method. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 10, 366-373.
47. Zhang Jianfeng, 1994. A convergent iterative algorithm for solving elastic waveform inversion. Science in China (Series A), 37, 459-468.